Here are some notes from the meeting on Thursday, January 15th 2015 at the Miami Rowing Club. We had a great turnout! Thank you to everyone who came and contributed to the meeting!
1. Intl class dues are 20 euros, about $30, pay here: http://www.regattanetwork.com/membermgmt/49ER/membership_registration_start.php
2. Intl class updates were summarized. Full details here: http://49er.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/49er-AGM-Minutes-2014.pdf
3. Canadian regatta schedule:
- Icebreakers in Toronto at the end of May
- Early June event in Kingston/Ottawa
- Late june event in Toronto
- Mid July Event TBD
The big events (helps with ISAF ranking!!):
- Canadian Championship is July 31-August 2 (50 ISAF points)
- CORK is August 15-19th (100 ISAF points, Equivalent to Palma, Euros, etc)
- These will both be well run regattas and will make up a great training block in Kingston.
- Americans are interested but think it will be a challenge to get Oakcliff boats there.
4. US National Champs
End of August at Oakcliff again was suggested.
Pros: Supplied boats, possibility of good timing with CORK
Cons: Not really a great venue for wind. Very easy to get 3 days of no sailing.
Ideal timing between events was suggested at ranging between 4 days to a week (shorter for those traveling from the West coast)
Clearwater in December was also suggested.
Pros: Encourage international boats to participate, good venue
Cons: American College students still in school/exams, transporting Oakcliff boats.
Ultimately, the consensus was that there should be a regatta in Clearwater in December, regardless of it being US Nats or not.
It seems that a US nationals event about a week after CORK was the preference. Canadians will go to US Nationals if Americans will come up and sail CORK and Canadians. Let’s make this 3 event block big!!
It was also suggested that a different venue in the area, such as Newport be used.
5. US east coast event (s)
- Newport week : has been a good event. Not much interest from the crowd at the meeting.
6. West coast circuit
- There will be a few 49ers on the west coast that are keen to do some events. If they can get enough boats they want to piggy-back on some existing events.
- It seems that there will be several boats in California for September might link up for some training
7. Pan American Games : happening in Toronto next July. Qualifier for all countries except Canada is the Miami SWC
8. Clearwater Worlds: talk to Europeans teams and make sure they know its going to be a good event and will be there
9. 2016 NA Champs
- Time for them to get out of Florida
- CORK 2016 suggested
- Will be revisited later
10. New boats for 2015/16
- Wait time can be 4-5 months, be sure to put orders in early